Step Up with Chinese for Beginners is a standards-based secondary textbook for beginning learners designed by North American educators in collaboration with Chinese language specialists at the Beijing Language and Culture University.
Hardcover, Simplified Chinese Characters, Pinyin and English, 275 Pages, 8.75"x11.25"
Developed in accordance to ACTFL’s 5Cs, each lesson was created to teach Chinese in a real-life context while incorporating the three communicative modes. This beginner text encompasses 10 units to be covered in one academic year. Eschewing the traditional text-vocabulary-grammar centered approach, each unit is broken down into small chunks of pattern to learn and practice. Each step builds upon previously learned vocabulary and sentence patterns in a systematic way. Students will learn all the necessary material to engage others in meaningful communication and gain a better understanding of the Chinese culture. Step Up makes an excellent first textbook for secondary learners with little or no Chinese background.
Key Features -
- Includes topics relevant to secondary students’ daily life.
- Breaks down lesson into manageable chunks to help students progress from “bite-size” stages to more lengthy and complex tasks.
- Offers a variety of communicative classroom activities to help students achieve target language goals.
- Interweaves traditional and contemporary Chinese culture pieces into the texts and activities.
- Encourages students to use the target language to talk about their own lives.
- Reinforces language learning by making connections to other content areas.